Pixologic just updated ZBrush, their widely used 3D modeling & sculpting tool.
Here are the main new features:
- Bas Relief: “Create embossed surfaces in stunning detail with the new Bas Relief features in ZBrush. Position your model as desired and project all visible meshed into the selected mesh.
Load any model and create a Bas Relief alpha from camera view to be used to create raised sections of detail that closely resemble the results of traditional relief sculpture.”
- Bevel Pro: “The new Bevel Pro plugin allows you to create complex bevels for meshes at any resolution without low-poly modeling. Suitable for meshes of medium-to-high resolution, Bevel Pro allows you to use masking and PolyGroups to determine exactly which edges to bevel. Adjust and preview your results non-destructively, and even create your bevels as separate sections of geometry for use with Live Boolean.”
- Multi-Texture/Multi-Alpha: “Brushes now support dual alphas and textures, allowing you to transition between the two based on the pen pressure of your stroke. Create striking blends of color and detail with this versatile new feature!”
- Brush Surface Noise with Local Projection: “Apply any image, graphical noise or noise presets to a brush for local sculptural surface noise details. Use Brush Size or pen pressure sensitivity to adjust the noise scale on the fly. Local Projection will give a unique way to reapply any noise by position of the brush. This feature shines when creating environment pieces or applying skin details.”
- SubTool Alignment: “Instantly redistribute multiple SubTools, or the geometry within a single SubTool with a single button press. Similar to alignment features found in other programs, you can now align meshes to the left, right or center, and by the top or bottom edges.”
- KnifeCircle & KnifeSquare: “The new Knife brushes now support the Circle and Rectangle stroke types. Cut through meshes cleanly with these tools where the resulting cut accurately reflects the stroke.”
- Enhanced Stroke Interpolation: “The Stroke Interpolation feature can now use ZIntensity, Brush Size, RGB Intensity, and Front and Back Colors to transition between strokes with a set number of steps. Create dazzling blends and intricate patterns of color and detail between two strokes on the surface of your mesh.”
To better understand these features, we advise you to watch the official launch video embedded below.
As always, this update is free for current ZBrush users.